Female chefs and restaurateurs in the Chicago area have banded together for Women’s Restaurant Week to encourage consumers to support women-owned restaurants. Presented by Let’s Talk and supported by the Illinois Restaurant Association, Choose Chicago and the James Beard Foundation (JBF), the six-day event will kick off on Women’s Equality Day, Wednesday, August 26, and runs through August 31.
Some of the participating restaurateurs and restaurants include Sarah Stegner, Prairie Grass Cafe; Beverly Kim, Parachute and Wherewithall; Carrie Nahabedian, Brindille; Danielle Dang, HaiSous; Amy and Clodaugh Lawless, The Dearborn; Sandra Holl, Floriole; and Rohini Dey, Vermilion (a JBF trustee and Let’s Talk founder).
Related: Why we need to nurture entrepreneurship in young girls
“The idea came out of a Let’s Talk group Zoom call with women chefs involved in the James Beard Foundation,” said Stegner, a two-time James Beard Award winner. “It was smart to band together to face the COVID19 challenges, learn from each other and encourage customers to support our women-owned restaurants,” she said.
Women’s Restaurant Week is led by the Chicago JBF “Let’s Talk” Forum to which seventeen Chicago-area women restaurateurs belong. Their purpose is to support each other and survive the coronavirus crisis together.
Women’s Restaurant Week is open to all women-owned restaurants, bakers and food-related and beverage businesses. Each business will offer a special dine-in meal, product for sale, delivery, or pick-up offer to showcase their business to Chicagoland.
Related: Rise & Thrive inspires and mentors teen girls to become leaders
Learn more about Windy City participants in Women’s Restaurant Week at their websites below:
- Mary Aregoni (Saigon Sisters)
- Deann Bayless (Frontera Group)
- Christine Cikowski (Honey Butter Fried Chicken)
- Dana Cree (Pretty Cool Ice Cream)
- Diana Davila (Mi Tocaya)
- Rohini Dey (Vermilion), JBF trustee and Let’s Talk founder
- Sophie Evanoff (Vanille Patisserie)
- Jodi Fyfe (Paramount Group)
- Theresa Ging (Sugar Bliss Cakes)
- Mindy Gohr (Bittersweet)
- Sandra Holl (Floriole)
- Beverly Kim (Parachute, Wherewithall)
- Jennifer Kim (Passerotto)
- Amy & Clodagh Lawless (The Dearborn)
- Catherine Gilmore Lawless (Gage Hospitality)
- Julia Momose (Kumiko)
- Carrie Nahabedian (Brindille)
- Cy and Natinski Oldham (Fat Cat Chicago)
- Mervet Nolte (Sizzles)
- Tigist Reda (Demera Chicago)
- Sarah Stegner (Prairie Grass Cafe)
Back to all News items.